SAFETY OF IRONMAN ATHLETES PARAMOUNT AHEAD OF TRIATHLON SHOWPIECE EVENTS
The safety of international and local participants in the Standard Bank Ironman African Championships and the 2018 Ironman 70.3 World Championships in September is paramount with pro-active safety measures established since last year.
Member of the Mayoral Committee for Safety and Security, Cllr John Best, gave this assurance as excitement mounts ahead of these showpiece events.
“We are determined to make sure that the only drama before and on race days will be the excitement on the course and that the safety of participants, their family, friends and spectators is not compromised.
“We instituted extraordinary measures to avoid incidents by deciding on a plan of action and having a number of meetings with clubs representing cyclists and Ironman South Africa to inform them of our patrol times and routes.
“Patrols are conducted by the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Metro Police, Traffic Law Enforcement, South African Police Services and a number of private security operatives
“The municipality is also looking at innovative public private partnerships to involve not just community structures but residents along the routes in the hosting of the events,” MMC Best said.
The safety and security for the Standard Bank Ironman African Championships in April and the crown jewel on 1 and 2 September includes the following:
- High visibility of officers at tourist attractions,
- continuous law enforcement on a daily basis,
- foot patrols,
- bicycle patrols,
- continuous close circuit television (CCTV) monitoring and fast and appropriate response to deal with potential threats,
- enforcement of municipal by-laws,
- traffic law enforcement,
- crime prevention,
- strict enforcement of alcohol-free zones as part of Nelson Mandela Bay zero tolerance of alcohol abuse at public amenities, and;
- tourist ambassadors to assist members of the public with tourism and race information as well as being the eyes and ears of law enforcement agencies.
“Athletes and visitors alike are welcome to come and enjoy our excellent facilities as we put our reputations on the line to work towards two world-class events.
“Come and enjoy our rich wildlife and cultural tapestry,” MMC Best added.